Wednesday, 11 September 2013

The Monkey Tree

The friends I was visiting in BC live in a small community called Lake Cowichan. Some how, one of the residents has a huge Monkey Tree (araucaria araucana) on his front lawn. I had never seen anything like it before.
While at Butchart's, I saw another monkey tree.


At first glance it just seems like an evergreen tree. And indeed it is, but it's apparently native to Chile, can grow to great age, and is now considered endangered!
What really sets it apart is that it doesn't have 'needles' like most North American evergreens.

monkey tree 'leaves'
How cool is that?!?

1 comment:

Bob Stewart said...

Oh I like the Monkey Puzzle Tree. What an interesting shape, form, and foliage - looks like a spiny plant, an honorary cactus. :) Great photos BTW. They are marginally winter hardy here in the Washington, D.C. area, but I've never tried one. After seeing you photos I might try one. Looks like you had a wonderful trip. Lucky You. :)